Initiated in 2012 and running until 2017, the FCDP is a grant funding and capacity building program for Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) in Fiji, funded by the Australian Government. The FCDP has offices in Suva, Lautoka, and Labasa in order to better serve its CSO partners and their target beneficiaries.
The program’s two overarching objectives are:
- To mitigate social and economic hardship faced by poor, vulnerable and excluded communities in Fiji by funding the community development work of CSOs; and
- To strengthen CSO capacity to deliver relevant and efficient programs for poor, vulnerable and excluded communities in Fiji.
Through a range of flexible grant mechanisms and capacity building support, the FCDP aims to demonstrate results in the following areas:
- Reduced social and economic hardship of poor and vulnerable communities;
- Stronger CSOs with strengthened capacities and resources to deliver services that are relevant to community needs and enhance cohesion in an accountable and effective manner;
- Increased resilience of poor and vulnerable communities, equipped with the knowledge, tools, skills and services necessary to cope with hardship when it arises;
- Enhanced engagement between the government and the CSO sector;
- Improved cooperation in the CSO sector;
- Improved articulation of the needs of poor and vulnerable communities, whereby communities are better able to voice the services and support they need to mitigate hardship in their communities; and
Results from the first three years show that under Objective 1, FCDP has provided $FJD 8.66 million across 121 grants under the following four thematic areas.
- Health (Including WASH programs)
- Environment, climate change and disaster response
- Livelihoods and food security
- Community development planning
Under Objective 2, 93 CSOs in Fiji have been supported to develop their capacity to deliver projects more effectively.
The capacity building activity areas have been:
- Management Practices
- Human Resource Management
- Financial Management
- Service Delivery
- External Relations